Where Can I Obtain a Portable Breath Test or Ignition Interlock Device in Tarrant County?

If you have been accused or charged with Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) in Tarrant County, Texas, you could be ordered to install an Ignition Interlock Device on your vehicle or obtain a portable breath test device. Sometimes, Interlock will be ordered by the judge as part of your probation, and sometimes it will be a part of your pretrial bond conditions.

What is Ignition Interlock?

Essentially, Ignition Interlock is a breathalyzer for your vehicle. The device requires you to blow into a mouthpiece on the device before starting your vehicle. It may also require you to blow into the mouthpiece periodically while you drive.

What types of cases require Ignition Interlock?

There are several situations that will require the installation of the ignition interlock device on a person’s vehicle:

  • If a person has had two or more convictions under any combination for DWI, Intoxication Assault or Intoxication Manslaughter
  • If a person is convicted of a DWI involving a breath or blood test with a BAC of .15 or greater.
  • The judge may require ignition interlock at his or her discretion even if a person is convicted for the first time of DWI, Intoxication Assault or Intoxication Manslaughter.

How long must I have the Ignition Interlock device on my vehicle?

If the court requires the device to be installed as a condition of bond, it must remain in place until the case is disposed or until the court lifts the condition of bond. If ordered as a condition of probation, most courts will require the device to be installed for the entire period of probation. While courts typically do require the device to be installed for the entire length of probation, the law only requires that the device be installed for at least half of the period of probation. [Texas Transportation Code 521.246 (d)]

If required, on what vehicle must I install the Ignition Interlock device?

Any vehicle that you operate must have an ignition interlock device installed. The order or condition of bond will typically state that you shall not operate any vehicle unless the ignition interlock device is installed on that vehicle.

Do I have to install Ignition Interlock on my work vehicle?

Maybe not. A person ordered to have Ignition Interlock can operate a motor vehicle without an interlock installed if the following conditions are met:

  1. The person is required to operate a motor vehicle in the course and scope of the person’s employment;
  2. The vehicle is owned by the person’s employer;
  3. The employer is not owned or controlled by the person whose driving privilege is restricted;
  4. The employer is notified of the driving privilege restriction; and
  5. Proof of that notification is with the vehicle.

Where can I get Ignition Interlock installed?

The Tarrant County courts will only permit an Ignition Interlock device from Draeger Safety Diagnostics:

Draeger Safety Diagnostics, Inc.

Draeger has multiple locations in Tarrant County:

  • FORT WORTH: 2416 Ludell St., Fort Worth, TX 76105 – 817-534-3939
  • FORT WORTH: 6450 Appian Way, Suite 101, Fort Worth, TX 76135 – 817-386-9933
  • ARLINGTON: 2611 S. Cooper Street, Ste. 111, Arlington, TX 76015 – 817-299-9244
  • KELLER:  5778 Park Vista Circle Ste. 304, Keller, TX 76244 – 817-337-9058

See Draeger’s website for locations in the surrounding counties.

For Counties outside of Tarrant County:

In addition to Draeger, Smart Start, Inc. also provides the installation and servicing of Ignition Interlock Devices.

How much does Ignition Interlock cost?

Fees vary between counties, but generally in Tarrant County for Draeger devices, the charge is $64.00/month – this fee includes installation and re-calibrations

What if I don’t have a vehicle or don’t drive?

If you don’t have a vehicle or don’t drive but are still being required to have an Ignition Interlock device, the court can (and likely will) require you to obtain a Portable Alcohol Monitoring Device, also known as the “in-home” alcohol monitor. This device is a portable alcohol monitoring system that will require you to blow periodically throughout the day to determine if you’ve consumed alcohol.

Where do a I get an “in home” alcohol monitoring device?

You can obtain an in home alcohol monitoring device through Smart Start, Inc. Smart Start, Inc. has various locations in Tarrant County and the surrounding counties.

Contact Our Fort Worth Criminal Defense Attorneys for a Free Consultation

If you have a pending DWI case and you have questions about Ignition Interlock devices or Portable Breath Tests, please contact our DWI Defense Attorneys for more information. We offer free consultations on every criminal case. Call our office today at (817) 993-9249.


Primary Location
209 W. 8th St
Fort Worth, TX 76102


*By Appointment Only
101 Quest Court
Keller, Texas 76248